Thursday, November 20, 2008

arite, arite, arite...

first things first, sinatra is blasting away as i wake up on this fine morning.

just wanted to put in a quick director's file entry that i actually wrote on a piece of paper on the 18th. check it out.

my brother was flipping through channels and he stopped to watch "The Sandlot".

I immediately started paying attention to the way this film is shot.

It's quite interesting how slapstick-y some of the framing, blocking, and sound is.

here's an example i picked up on. i assure you that there are many more.

we see a low-angle medium close-up shot from behind a young boy.

we see the outline of his shoulders and head. beyond his frame, is a seemingly gigantic fence.

we hear dog-barking and immediately we are lead to the exact place the director wants us.

it's an interesting way to "fake it". it's also a good way to say something with limited resources. the director was very effective in communicating his message.

another thing, i wrote about this a week ago but never put it online...

i've been paying more attention to the way people speak. no, that doesn't mean i'm walking around eavesdropping. well, it might BUT, i don't actually care about WHAT they are saying. just HOW they speak. When I took STAGES at North a few years back, we had to do an exercise like this. I learned a lot from it then. To this day, I still find myself thinking about that stuff. I mean, it's something I can still learn from. As someone who is not extremely confident in writing realistic dialogue, it allows me to pick up on patterns and other subtlties of common speech.

anyway, that's all for now.

write again soon.

e

1 comment:

Luke said...

Thanks for the heads up on "follower". I do remember when we were both discussing how retarded it was that blogger didn't have such a thing!

And my pleasure helping you out that day, I only wish I could have done more. Did it get solved, or at least in some way figure out a way to go around it? Sounded like a conundrum to me.

And good point on the Sandlot, it really is a quality film in many ways. Not only is it, imho, the best childrens flick of our generation, it was very well produced. It really speaks to a child's mind in a way that other children's film can't do. The Sandlot doesn't talk down to the kids, and doesn't try to impose the feeling that this situation is nothing but silly child'splay. To them, it is MONUMENTAL moment in their lives, yet still incredibly humorous. God I love that movie.